- Section VI - 4.10(A) UMB POLICY ON THE USE OF THE PHYSICAL FACILITIES OF THE UNIVERSITY SYSTEM FOR PUBLIC MEETINGS
(Effective 06/15/84; revised 07/01/89; revised 09/18/01)
PURPOSE: To identify the groups that can use UMB facilities, to establish administrative procedures for applications for use of UMB facilities, and to establish standards for allowing and denying use of facilities.
I. A. Academic activities of UMB schools and activities organized by UMB take priority over all other uses of campus facilities. Non-academic uses by campus groups take priority over any uses by outside groups.
B. "Campus groups" refers to: student organizations recognized by the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs or a Dean's Office, faculty or student government organizations established under UMB policy, faculty or staff organizations established by State law or USM policy, academic and administrative offices of UMB, University Physicians, Inc., University of Maryland Medical System, faculty professional associations organized under University policy, and recognized alumni associations and foundations.
C. "Outside groups" refers to unrecognized campus groups and other organizations.
II. School Buildings
Use of a building designated specifically and completely for occupancy by one or more professional schools is administered and scheduled by the Dean(s) of the School(s) or designee(s). For this purpose, the University of Maryland School of Law includes the Law Library. Use of the Health Sciences and Human Services Library is administered and scheduled by the Director of the Library or designee. If a building is shared by schools, each Dean is responsible for areas used by that Dean's school.
- Use by Campus Groups
- The Dean or Director will determine what areas, if any, in the building or its grounds are available for reserved use by campus groups.
- Requests from campus groups for use of areas will be considered and acted on by the Dean or Director. Use of an area will not be permitted if the use is inconsistent with the academic mission of the School, would interfere with academic activities, or would result in unbudgeted costs see part IV)which the Dean or Director is not willing to meet from the School's budget and which the campus group is unable to pay.
- A use fee may be charged for use of a School area by a campus group associated with another School. A use fee (see part IV) may be charged for use of a Library area by any campus group.
- Use by Outside Groups.
- Requests for use of these areas by outside groups which (a) are professional organizations related to the academic mission of the School, or (b) administer professional, licensing, and other examinations related to the academic programs of the School, will be considered and acted on by the Dean or Director, who may permit use of areas subject to the criteria stated in II.A.
- Use by outside groups not described in B.1. is subject to payment of a use fee, and special costs (See part IV) and the approval of the Dean or Director.
- Use fees will be set by the Vice President for Administrative Services. Special costs will be determined by the Dean or Director. See part IV.
- To assure consistent application of the requirements of this paragraph II.B, the Dean or Director, or designee, must obtain approval in advance from the President's Office for a request subject to this paragraph.
- The Dean or Director may approve use of an area if the use is consistent with the academic mission of the school.
III. Other campus facilities -- designated areas in the Student Union Building, the Plaza Park and the Library Plaza at Greene and Lombard Streets - are available for use by campus groups and outside groups. The Student Union/Resident Life designee will schedule use of the Student Union Building and the Campus Police Department designee will schedule use of the Plaza Park and the Library Plaza.
- Use by Campus Groups.
- Requests for use of these areas by campus groups should be made by an application requiring approval of the appropriate office as listed above. Events will be permitted in these areas subject to space, noise, and safety imitations, and payment of any use fees or special costs (see part IV).
- The President may waive use fees or special costs for campus groups.
- Use by Outside Groups.
- Requests for use of these areas by outside groups should be made by an application to the appropriate office as stated above. To assure consistency in application of this campus policy, the designee from each of these offices will seek advance approval from the President's Office concerning each application. Approval from the President's Office is not required for table space in the Student Union Building.
- If the application is acceptable and the area is available, the requesting user will be notified of the use fee or security deposit, any estimated special costs, and any restrictions specified as a condition of use of the area. Upon payment of the use fee or security deposit and estimated special costs, a permit for use of the area will be issued.
- Plaza Park and Library Plaza. Requests to use Plaza Park and Library Plaza should be granted only after consideration of pedestrian and vehicle traffic control needs and costs, clean-up requirements, and impact of activities in the Park upon patient access and academic, patient care, and administrative activities in adjoining buildings. The Campus Police Department may establish sound regulations, weight limits, and other requirements for use of Plaza Park and Library Plaza. Use of Plaza Park and Library Plaza may be prohibited during certain times of day (e.g., rush hour) or on specific days when activities would be unduly disruptive (e.g., examination period; Opening Day).
- The Vice President for Administrative Services shall issue at least annually a schedule of use fees and security deposits for use of campus facilities by recognized groups and/or non-campus groups. Use fees are intended to cover basic facilities costs. Security deposits are intended to cover any damage to the area or additional unanticipated special costs.
- Special costs are costs incurred by UMB over and above basic facilities costs. Special costs include cleaning, set-up, security, pedestrian and vehicle traffic control, and any other UMB work required to ensure that the use of an area has minimal impact upon the operations of the campus and the Medical Center and the area is restored to a normal condition after the use. Special costs will be estimated and must be pre-paid, subject to adjustment after special costs are calculated. The Vice President for Administrative Services will establish a price schedule for typical special costs.
- Use fees for School areas will be collected by the office that issues permission to use an area and retained by that School for use as determined by the Dean. Use fees for Library areas will be collected by the Library Director and retained for use by the Library as determined by its Director. Use fees for Student Union Building areas will be collected by the Student Union/Resident Life designee and retained for use by the Student Union as determined by the designee. Security deposits for Plaza Park and Library Plaza will be collected by the Campus Police Department and retained or distributed as directed by the Vice President for Administrative Services.
- Any special costs collected will be collected by the office that issues permission to use an area, but remitted to the campus unit(s) incurring the costs.
University of Maryland, Baltimore
Contacts for Facilities Use
Subject to change without notice.
Student Union Bldg. (621 W. Lombard St.) Kenny Anderson
x6-8087 Plaza Park/ Library Plaza LT. Clifford McCullough x6-6882 National Museum of Dentistry Rachael Clark x6-8477
Medical School Bldgs. (MSTF, Bressler Research Bldg, Howard Hall, Health Sciences Facility) Paul Moore
x6-7848 Nursing School Bldg. Tom Fahey x6-2618 School of Social Work Bldg. Gwen Young x6-7870 Dental School Bldg. Susan Szekely x6-7461 Law School Bldg. Mary Alice Hohing x6-1524 Pharmacy School Bldg. Bill Cooper x6-7651 Allied Health Bldg. Karen Sack x6-7720 Administration Bldg. Al Fick x6-7303 Health Sciences Library Aphrodite Bodycomb x6-8853
FY 2002 Space Rental Fee Schedule
Schedule of Fees for use of Campus Facilities
Auditorium and Lobby
Nursing - Auditorium and Lobby - Capacity 470
Campus Use / Non Campus Use
For use up to four hours $800 For use four to eight hours $1200 For use eight to twelve hours $1600 Additional Fees Breakout Rooms $75 per room For Saturday or Sunday hours $100 per hour For access prior to 7:45 am or after 10 pm $100 per hour MSTF - Auditorium and Lobby - Capacity 350
Campus Use - No charge
Non Campus Use
For use up to four hours $600 For use four to eight hours $900 For use eight to twelve hours $1200 Additional Fees Breakout Rooms $75 per room For Saturday or Sunday hours $100 per hour For access prior to 7:45 am or after 10 pm $100 per hour Social Work - Auditorium and Lobby - Capacity 175
Campus Use - No charge
Non Campus Use
For use up to four hours $300 For use four to eight hours $450 For use eight to twelve hours $600 Additional Fees Breakout Rooms $75 per room For Saturday or Sunday hours $100 per hour For access prior to 7:45 am or after 10 pm $100 per hour President’s Hall - Capacity 150 Campus Use:
$490 per day Campus Use:
$630 per day Non-Campus Use:
$700 per day Non-Campus Use:
$900 per day Conference Rooms Available for Non-campus Use Capacity up to 20 Campus Use No charge Non-Campus Use $100 half day; $150 day Capacity up to 40 Campus Use $30 for clean up Non-Campus Use $150 half day; $225 day Capacity up to 80 Campus Use $30 for clean up Non-Campus Use $200 half day; $300 day Health Sciences and Human Services Library Microcomputer Classroom Use – Policy is on the Web Campus Use $250 half day; $500 day Non-Campus Use $500 half day; $1000 day Student Union (No Charges for Student Organization Use) Alumni Lounge - Capacity up to 40 Campus Use (Non-student) $30 for clean up Non-Campus Use $150 half day; $225 day Terrace Lounge - Capacity up to 80 Campus Use (Non-student) $30 for clean up Non-Campus Use $200 half day; $300 day Outside Vendor Lobby $75 per day per table Plaza Park Campus Use No Charge Non-Campus Use $500 Security Deposit Library Plaza (Greene/Lombard) Campus Use No Charge Non-Campus Use $300 Security Deposit
Schedule of Special Cost for use of Campus Facilities
Rental Equipment: $3.00 per table and $1.00 per chair
Public Safety: Security Guard - $22 per hour
Police Officer - $36 per hour
Audio Visual Equipment
Rental set per school or unit
- Use by Campus Groups